Friday, March 6, 2009

The Cerebral and Seasoned Tennis Player

When I was younger, I had a big serve. I remember just blowing the ball by people. I would hit and follow, lumbering towards the net, trying not to trip over myself. I was a big, gangly kid, without much coordination. I matured well after any kind of career, or scholarship, was there for me. But I could hit the ball hard, and not much else. I wore my emotions on my sleeve, easily distracted and emotionally thin. I had nerves of glass, which cracked, splintered and disintegrated with even the slightest jolt. All of which added up to a pretty mediocre career as a junior tennis player, thank God. Any visions of grandeur were chucked out the window early, like most kids I think. Now I'm a different player. All grown up and looking for a good match. I won't blow anybody off of the court, but I'm tougher now. My nerves don't shatter so easily. I'm more cerebral and seasoned. I understand how to control rhythm and pace, the ebb and flow. I understand how to think through my points, so that I can win my tennis match.

No comments:

Post a Comment