Sunday, April 12, 2009

Love Forty and the Comeback

I'm down love forty to this young kid who has some real game. I reach for my towel and wipe off my sweat. Perspiration slides down my face, from thick humidity of a hot afternoon. I wipe myself off and get back to being down love forty. I bounce the ball and serve, smacking the line for a service ace. I again wipe my face with a towel. I bounce the ball and serve again, smacking the line, for yet another service ace. I wipe down again, feeling like I'm on a roll. I bounce the tennis ball and serve. I'm now gaining real confidence. The ball lands in and it's not a service ace, but the dead duck my opponent hits back, I easily put away. Now it's forty all. I have changed the momentum. I am back in the game. The young kid has let me off of the ropes. He lets me breath. I bounce the tennis ball and serve. The young kid rockets a forehand well out of my reach. I wipe down with the towel, one more time. I bounce the tennis ball and serve. I have a premonition, I visualize it before it happens. And then I double fault and lose the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment