Monday, April 6, 2009

A Bad Call Rectified

I took a deep breath and hesitated for a second. I knew the serve had landed in, he knew the serve had landed in, the big spot in the clay makes it pretty obvious. I take another deep breath. I shake-off the bad call. What else can I do, I mean the guy should change his call, but he's not. I bounce the ball several times, concentrating. I toss the ball into the air, bend my knees, step and catch the ball in full extension. That distinct "thwap" sounds, as my racket makes contact. The ball sails towards the far right corner of the service box and lands in, he hits back an off-balance forehand return, a dead duck sailing through the air. I step in, one, two, three steps and stop. I keep my balance and lay the racket out, stepping into a forehand volley. I strike the ball crisp, and there's that distinct "thwap" sound again. He can't reach my shot, he doesn't deserve to reach my shot. His bad call has been rectified. 

No comments:

Post a Comment