Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Doubles and Human Backboards

Sometimes, I play doubles just for fun. I really prefer to play singles. But every once in a while, on a lark, I play doubles. I found some retired teachers that play a mean game of doubles. Talk about maximizing athletic potential. These guys are like human backboards. Nothing pretty, but the ball always stays in play. I can never put the ball away. Every shot I make finds it's way back. Eventually, I start forcing play. Basic mental management entails never becoming impatient. But I am impatient, sometimes. And sometimes, I invite errors. These retired teachers maximize their pensions and early retirement playing on the public courts. They put themselves out to pasture in Central Park, focusing on tennis, of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment