Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tennis, Like an Old Girlfriend

I really had not played competitive tennis since high school. Somehow the game just drifted out of my life. Well, that's not exactly true. I really just developed other interests. Until I moved to the New York City last year, I had lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico and Aspen, Colorado for nearly all of my adult life. Skiing and snowboarding and bicycling were the staples of my athletic existence. I had always lived in the mountains. So what did I do upon the culture shock of moving to the city? I went out to eat, of course. Like the video game "Pac Man," I gobbled up just about every kind of food imaginable, munching my way around Manhattan. I ate so much that I began to get fat and unhealthy. I decided that I needed to start something other than eating. Tennis seemed like an old friend who needed to come back into my life. She came back, kind of like an old girlfriend with consistently great chemistry. I dove in with passion, falling in love all over again. And I lost weight, pulled myself back into shape, and realized how much I missed the competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment