Friday, February 27, 2009

Tennis in the Morning

Last winter, I started playing at this semi-private, tennis club out on Roosevelt Island. They were always trying to get me to join, but I'm just not a member's only, "tennis club" guy. It's just not my style. Besides, indoor tennis only has a place in the winter, if you ask me. So this place is full of cagey, stockbroker types, at least before the market went sour. I found this "Morning Bird Special," two hours for the price of one. Inside during the winter, not bad really. Indoor tennis is just expensive, at least here in New York City. These stockbroker types were fun to play against, not real athletic, but competitive. Most of these guys were a little older, although it's hard to generalize. I made some decent money last winter out on Roosevelt Island. Stockbrokers love to gamble. And the thing is, I happen to be a great early morning player. Things are simpler for me in the morning, which translates well to my tennis game. I don't "think too much," one of the true mental obstacles to overcome. Sometimes, my brain doesn't idle at the slow pace that it should, but usually in the morning I'm okay. Eventually, the weather turned to spring, and I moved outdoors and began playing more regularly in Central Park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment